Friday, May 15, 2009

The Fickle Finger of Fate

I am holding my breath and I dare not think it. I dare not say it out loud, lest you are only a dream.

I dreamt of a child two weeks ago.
A child who was older, who had come to live with us.
Who appeared magically and suddenly.
I remembered telling Daddy, there is a child.
It was new to me. And I wasn't altogether comfortable.
I wondered to myself where this child had come from.
But the child was familiar to me, even though I didn't know him/her (I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl), and I knew they were here to stay forever, that it wasn't going back.

So, when Meg called and asked me if I was sitting down, I thought we had gotten your meimei.

But it was you.
I dare not speak your name out loud.
Lest you disappear once again.


No comments: