Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Now you're a Complete American

After two months of documentation flowing back and forth between me and the American Government, proving you are not stolen, illegal or purchased illegally (you were legal :o) ) we received your official American Passport in the mail yesterday.

You are indeed fortunate. This is a document that people have forged, bought, stolen, and begged for, all the world over. Some have died trying to get it while others have killed for it. And for the rest of us who get it the traditional way, they must wait years. Sometimes tens of years. I wanted 15 years.

And you got it for just BEING. Yes. You are truly fortunate.

I hope you respect this right to be an American, treasure it always, never abuse it, and make this country proud. You have a long way to go to earning this gift. And it is a gift. As an immigrant and having visited the country of my birth, as well as other countries where "coming to America" is a goal in and of itself, I am passionate about paying back for this gift every single day.

You are unspeakably fortunate. And one day, you'll understand.
But knowing you, I think you probably already do.

Love,
Mama

No comments: